Sunday, February 20, 2011

Turning Thoughts Towards Spring

I can't believe it's been over a year since I last posted on my blog.  Surely any readers have long since thought I fell off the face of the earth.  Indeed rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated.  I'm still breathing last I checked.

2010 was a whirlwind year and it came and went like nobody's business.  I have no idea where it went.  Life has a way of doing that....sneaking passed us quietly. Very unobtrusive at times and all subterfugean.  (Yeah I made up that word!) 


I find myself in the midst of winter when life has slowed its frantic pace.  My mind has begun to wander to old pursuits of interest and I've gone into planning mode.  Gardening may be my thing again this year as I've dusted off my manila folder entitled "Veggie Gardening" and taken a gander at some grand plans made long ago.  I went a step further though and ordered seeds of lettuce, radish, corn, cucumber, squash, and watermelon.  I plan to buy plants of tomatoes, peppers and select herbs and put out seed potatoes and onion sets in a few weeks.  The only thing I'm still trying to get my head around is timing.  I have this nifty planting schedule all worked out and my potato and onion planting needs to occur while I'm in Mexico with the family.  I figure I can do them when I get back as long as the weather is cooperative.

In addition to the vegetable gardening, I've started placing orders for some old favorite bloomers.  I have a frightening number of lily bulbs coming and some odds-n-ends like sedums, dicentras, and peonies.  These are all through the Yahoo gardening co-op and all look likely to happen except the peonies.  (Wasn't really sure where those would go anyways.)  I'm hoping to not go too overboard on ordering and just modestly plan to fill in some bare spots and work a little on the southern pool fence border.

So another year begins in earnest and I with well-laid plans begin a new gardening season.  Hope springs eternal during this time of year.  May I do it justice and reap the rewards of beauty and bounty this summer and fall.

2 comments:

Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

I'm still here, Brenda! Good to see you posting again. Enjoy Mexico ... the onions and potatoes will get planted when they get planted!

Brenda said...

Thanks Erin! Yeah, I kind of decided the potatoes and onions will get in when they get in. Thanks for being a loyal reader.